Brooklyn 1

21 Apr

Early in my marriage we lived in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn.  After the Bronx and Manhattan this was really the country.  First we lived in a mafia owned three apartment building on Bay 13th and then we bought a brownstone on Bay 14th.    I will change some names to protect the innocent and not so innocent.

We lived in the center apartment in a building that quickly became party central.  We all used a concrete backyard for song fests and bbqs.  It was about as wide as a three car garage.  The guy upstairs, Tony, played the guitar and we spent hours singing, House of the Rising Sun.  My aunt who was only a few years older than me lived on the first floor with her two young sons.  Her husband was a medic serving in Viet Nam.  Upstairs was Tony, his wife and three young children, and as I said Jim and I were sandwiched in the middle with our baby girl.

There was never an end to our parties.  We had seltzer delivered by the case.  It came in those clown like spray bottles.  You never knew if when someone called your name, and you opened the apartment door, if you were going to get squirted in the face.  I did a lot of squirting myself.  It got so out of control we eventually had to call a moratorium to seltzer.

Separating our building from the one next door was a driveway.  It was not unusual to get bombarded with a bag of water when walking down the driveway alley.  Everyone in the building was under twenty-nine years of age.  It was like a frat house.  One time the brother of the girl who lived upstairs drove into the driveway in his little convertible.  You guessed it!  His sister dumped a trash pail full of water right into his front seat.  What a shot.  We came in and out of each other’s apartment at all hours of the day and night.  Jim was the only one in the building who had a regular job, he was a Cop.  Everyone knew when he came home at four AM.    He worked steady 8 PM until 4 in the morning.  They could hear his ball of keys and flashlight jangling as he ran up the stairs.  Remember the days when you could work for eight hours and still run up the stairs?

The reason I mentioned that this was a mafia owned building was that it was barely maintained and there was no bannister on the hallway flight of stairs which was pretty steep.  One summer day I fell down these steps with my baby in my arms.  She did not get hurt but I broke my tail bone.  We had been having all kinds of fights with the realty company who was supposed to be maintaining the property.  I fell, and we sued.  That’s when all hell really broke loose.

Leave a comment

Posted by on April 21, 2011 in Uncategorized


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Attila Ovari

Loving Life and Inspiring Others

Dear Ms. Sopia,

An advice and discussion page

The Year(s) of Living Non-Judgmentally

Here and now, with all of it.

J T Weaver

And in the end the love you take, is equal to the love you make. -- The Beatles


Fact and fiction from the head and heart.


Howdy! We're the largest independent bookstore in Texas. This is our blog.

The Daily Post

The Art and Craft of Blogging

Treasures of Life

Musing about people, businesses and social media

Scattered Pictures

Random Memories and Stories; Past and Present

Arzooman Editorial Services

Editing, writing, marketing, Websites


Just another site

The Blog

The latest news on and the WordPress community.

%d bloggers like this: